CPI(M) MLAs in Tripura Assembly
CPI(M) MLAs walk out of Tripura Assembly. Image credit - Northeast Now

The Opposition CPI(M) MLAs on Monday walked out of the Tripura Assembly

They walked out in protest against the deputy speaker not allowing discussion on the issue of a custodial death that took place in West Tripura police station.

CPI(M) MLAs Ratan Bhowmik and Nirmal Biswas brought calling attention to the custodial death issue.

But deputy speaker Biswa Bandhu Sen did not allow the issue to be discussed in the Assembly on the ground that the issue is under investigation.

The chief minister gave a written reply regarding the issue but the opposition MLAs remained adamant seeking discussion on the floor of the House.

Deputy speaker Sen said, “The matter is under investigation and it will not be appropriate to discuss the issue now.”

Then Opposition leader Manik Sarkar questioned the deputy speaker that if the matter was under investigation then why did he allow to raise the issue in the House.

Later, the Opposition CPI(M) MLAs walked out of the House in protest.

Talking to media after coming out of the Assembly, Opposition leader and former Tripura chief minister Manik Sarkar slammed the BJP and accused the Tripura Assembly deputy speaker of misusing the chair-power as a speaker.

Manik Sarkar also condemned the role of the Tripura chief minster in the custodial death case.

He said no police officer has been suspended so far following the incident.

Surprisingly, it has been claimed that CCTV footage of the incident has not been found.

Sarkar alleged that Biswa Bandhu Sen has been appointed in the post of deputy speaker to work in favour of the ruling government and to suppress the voice of the opposition.

“What’s going on in the Assembly?” questioned Manik Sarkar adding, “How CCTV camera can remain switched off when this unnatural death took place?”

He further asked, “Why no action was taken against the official who was monitoring the CCTV?”

Sushanta Ghosh, who was arrested in connection with an ATM hacking case, died in the West Agartala police station on January 12.


Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in