The youths who were taken for recruitment by NSCN (IM).

While the talks between NSCN (IM) and Centre heading towards final stage, the Naga rebel outfit has reportedly launched a recruitment drive.

This has come to light after the army and the Assam Rifles in a joint operation busted a “covet recruitment racket” of the NSCN (IM) in Nagaland’s Mon district.

Based on specific input that a group of youths from villages in Mon district was being taken by the NSCN (IM) cadres to their Aopao camp recruitment, a team of Army and Assam rifles launched an operation on Thursday (November 21) and rescued 32 youths, who were taken for recruitment.

“The army and Assam Rifles followed the Bolero pick-up vehicle in which they were being taken and intercepted it on Mon-Aboi road,” said a defence PRO.

Two NSCN (IM) cadres self-styled “corporal” Loajah and self-styled “sgt” Manza were apprehended, the PRO said.

Thirty two youths hailing from Laokkun, Tizit town, Jaboka, Nokzang, Hatothi (Naginimora) and Chingphoi villages were rescued, he said.

The youths revealed that they had been lured by various underground groups on the pretext of providing jobs post Naga solution.

The two nabbed NSCN (IM) cadres and the youths were handed over to Mon police on Friday.

Bhadra Gogoi

Bhadra Gogoi is Northeast Now Correspondent in Nagaland. He can be reached at: bhadragogoi@yahoo.com