Twenty-seven houses were reduced to ashes when a devastating fire broke out at Y Zhimomi colony here Friday night. The blaze rendered 34 families homeless, Nagaland home commissioner Abhishek Singh said in a release on Saturday.
The affected families were living mostly in semi-concrete and thatched houses.
The exact cause of this massive fire could not be ascertained but it is suspected to be due to short circuit.
Though fire brigades reached on time nothing could be salvaged due to close proximity of the houses, the release said. Altogether nine fire tenders were pressed into service which prevented the fire from spreading and cause further damage to nearby houses.
Dimapur district administration led by ADC Sara S Jamir along with police, paramilitary forces and District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) members visited the site immediately after the incident.
A sum of Rs 20,000 was given to the colony council by Dimapur DDMA to provide food and shelter to the affected families. An amount of Rs 5000 each was also given to the fire affected families as immediate relief on Saturday. Besides, a relief camp was also set up at the site to provide temporary relief measures to the victims, the home commissioner informed.