A 73-year-old man was charred to death as his house caught fire at Ruallung village in Mizoram’s Saitual district on early Sunday.

The victim has been identified as Bawihkima.

The incident occurred at around 4:30 am while the victim, Bawihkima along with 8 other occupants were still fast asleep in a two-storey Assam type building, sources said.

The fire started from the ground floor of the building, which was used for a furniture workshop.

When the family members, who were sleeping upstairs, heard the sound of the fire, they ran outside the house, the sources said.

When the victim turned back to the burning house to take their savings he was charred to death by the fire, sources added.

The fire was believed to be caused by an electric short-circuit.

On being informed, Saitual MLA and minister R. Lalzirliana rushed to the spot.

He announced that any compensation permissible under the government will be given to the victim’s family.

Lalzirliana donated Rs 50,000 to the local leaders for community works.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in