The Nagaon District & Sessions Court will pronounce on Dec 1 its order on framing charges against 47 accused who were arrested in connection with the Dokmoka lynching case.
All the 47 accused of the case on Thursday were produced in the court, which fixed Dec 1 next date of hearing in the case.
“The Court will pronounce its order on framing charges against 47 accused on Dec 1. All the accused were produced in the court today and in between this the accused will be produced again on November 22,” prosecution counsel Bijan Mahajan told reporters outside the court in Nagaon.
Two Guwahati youths—Nilotpal Das, a sound engineer and Abhijeet Nath, a businessman—were lynched by a mob at Panjuri under Dokmoka police station in Karbi Anglong district on June 8 on suspicion of being child lifter.
The Karbi Anglong police on September 1 filed an 844-page charge-sheet in the case. The charge-sheet was filed in a local court at Diphu in Karbi Anglong district.
The trial of the case was shifted to Nagaon District & Sessions Court following an order of the Gauhati High Court.
The Gauhati High Court on September 4 ordered immediate shifting of the trial of the case to a fast track court in Nagaon following the Assam government’s apprehension that witnesses will not be able to depose freely in Karbi Anglong.
A division bench of Chief Justice Ajit Singh and Justice Manojit Bhuyan, in a written order had, said the trial of the case would be shifted to Nagaon district and sessions judge court to fast track and conclude it as expeditiously as possible.
Police had earlier arrested 47 people, including the prime accused Alphajos Timung aka Alpha under Sections 302, 341, 427, 143, 144, 147 148, 149, 109, 332 and 186 of the Indian Penal Code.
Meanwhile, the family members of Nilotpal demanded death sentence for the accused persons. “We demand that they are given the strongest punishment so that it sets a precedent and nobody dares commit such a crime in the future,” Nilotpal’s father Gopal Chandra Das said.