The administration of eastern Assam’s Sivasagar district held a meeting with heads of various religious institutions on Monday amid the looming COVID-19 crisis.
The meeting resolved to maintain the age-old social harmony and peace in the district by defeating design of vested interests.
Notably, the district administration is concerned about some unscrupulous elements resorting to misinformation and hate campaign through various social media platforms during the nation-wide lockdown and the emergence of COVID-19 cases in the State.
Deputy commissioner Lakhinandan Gogoi while presiding over the meeting called upon all sections of the society to remain united in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
He also urged one and all to extend all possible cooperation to the administration by lending no ear to the misinformation campaign launched by people with divisive intention.
He underscored that till date no COVID-19 positive case has been detected in the district.
Also read: Assam: Coronavirus alert in Sivasagar
He also said the administration has taken all possible measures to prevent transmission of the disease to the district.
Addressing the meeting, superintendent of police, Amitava Sinha informed that the district police were taking stern measures to enforce all-encompassing lockdown in the district.
He warned against rumours being circulated about some participants of Tablighi Jamaat at Nizamuddin Markaz in Delhi remaining in hiding in the district.
He said a three-layer investigation was carried out to find out returnees of Tablighi Jamaat from the district and all of them were kept in quarantine while their swab samples were tested and all results were negative.
He also said information about any person coming to the district from outside the State could be provided to police or district administration for follow up actions.
The superintendent also warned of stern action against those indulging in circulating fabricated news through social media platforms and various other means.
He further informed that action had already been taken against five such persons.
District development commissioner, Nawab Al Azhar Ali informed that hospitals in the district were prepared with 165 beds in isolation wards and 467 beds for quarantine purposes while there were sufficient personal protection equipment (PPE) and medicines.
Any information related to Corona virus pandemic can be either obtained and provide by people at telephone numbers: 1077, 03772-223397, 8471864355.
The district administration has assured of all steps to keep the supply of essential commodities uninterrupted and prevent unwarranted hike in prices.