Sonowal
Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal at the conference hall of DC, Dibrugarh. Image credit - Northeast Now

Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Sunday said the state government is concerned about the loss of studies caused to the students due to the prevailing COVID19 situation.

Chief minister Sonowal said this during an interaction with the deans, HoDs of various departments and other faculty members of Dibrugarh University at the DC’s conference hall in Dibrugarh.

“We have the interacted with the faculties of Dibrugarh University. We have sought their suggestions regarding functioning of the education system despite of the challenges faced by all of us,” said Sonowal.

“We have to ensure that the students do not lose the academic year. We have asked them to send their suggestions which can be taken into consideration for finalization of our future plan regarding the education policy,” the CM said.

The chief minister said they have appealed to the faculties to spread the message from their institutions amongst people to follow the COVID guidelines and to remain careful and cautious.

“The faculties have given us some important suggestions. We thank them all for the same,” CM Sonowal said.

The Assam government is planning to resume classes of X and XII students from June 1, by ensuring social distancing norms.

Education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the state government had already asked the centre to consider the plan in order to reduce further academic loss.

“We are thinking of resuming classes for X and XII students after the summer vacation,” said the CM.

One section can be divided into three groups to ensure social distancing.

“Students of classes X and XII can attend three days each in a week, maintaining social distancing in a bid to curb further academic loss because of Covid19,” Himanta Biswa Sarma said.

However, the students have suffered losses in their studies due to the pandemic because the educational institutions have remained closed for more than two months.

Many students have downloaded app during the lockdown.

“Those who have internet connection, they downloaded app and have continue to study with the help of the app but many of the students are not fortunate because they have no internet connection,” said a teacher.

“The students have suffered huge losses due to the lockdown. The government has decided to resume classes of X and XII students from June 1, with social distancing norms. I thank the government for the decision because it is a matter for the future of students,” the teacher said.

Education minister Sarma has requested the students to subscribe to the Biswa Vidya Assam YouTube channel for online learning and school teachers in rural areas to teach students in courtyard from June 1, if lockdown continues.

Avik Chakraborty

Avik Chakraborty is Northeast Now Correspondent in Dibrugarh. He can be reached at: babs8oct@gmail.com