One person died on Wednesday and another fell critically ill after consuming poisonous mushrooms at Titabar in Jorhat district.
The deceased has been identified as 24-year-old Kiran Polong of Titabar Sariyapathar Mising Gaon under Titabar Sub-division (Civil) of Jorhat district.
Kiran, who consumed poisonous wild mushroom two days back, died at the Jorhat Medical College Hospital (JMCH).
Dr Nilutpal Bhattacharjee, a surgeon at Jorhat Medical College Hospital, said Kiran died of food poisoning due to the consumption of toxic mushroom as told by the patient and his family members.
“The doctor said the deceased’s father, Mahipal Palang (67), who is in a serious condition due to the same cause, has been referred to GMCH,” Dr Bhattacharjee said.
In the last 10 days, four persons, including three from the same family in Charaideo district of upper Assam, also died reportedly after consuming poisonous wild mushrooms.