Rajnath Singh
File photo of Rajnath Singh.

PIB Fact Check has termed the news report on Defence Minister Rajnath Singh saying that significant numbers of Chinese troops moved into areas in eastern Ladakh as ‘fake news’.

According to reports, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh admitted during an interview on CNNnews18 that “Chinese soldiers crossed Indian side of LAC”.

Saying that the Defence Minister’s interview has been misinterpreted, PIB Fact Check tweeted: “Fact: The Minister was referring to differing perceptions of LAC & presence of Chinese troops. It is being misinterpreted as if Chinese troops entered Indian side of LAC.”

Media reports said Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday acknowledged that the significant numbers of Chinese troops moved into areas in eastern Ladakh as the stand-off between the two countries is about to hit the one-month mark.

India has taken all necessary steps to deal with the situation, said the Defence Minister.

The reports also quoted Singh as saying that a meeting has been scheduled for June 6 between senior Indian and Chinese military leaders.

He, however, made it clear that India is not going to back off from its position.

While China claims eastern Ladakh as its territory, a media report quoted Singh as saying: “Whatever is happening at present…It is true that people of China are on the border. They claim that it is their territory. Our claim is that it is our area. There has been a disagreement over it.”

As per reports, while the Chinese have built up a large number of troops on their side of the LAC, India has also moved in additional troops.

Chinese troops have reportedly been camping in the Indian side of the LAC in Galwan Valley and Pangong Tso.

The Defence Minister said the Doklam dispute was resolved through diplomatic and military dialogues.

“We have found solutions to similar situations in the past as well. Talks at the military and diplomatic levels were on to resolve the current issue,” defence Minister Singh said.

According to sources, dialogue has been going on between military commanders on daily basis.

A dialogue was also held at the level of Major Generals and on Tuesday, said sources.

However, no concrete resolution has been achieved so far and talks will continue, defence sources said.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in