Kerala health minister Veena George has urged the people of the state to be on high alert after Norovirus was reported in the state.
Two weeks ago, Norovirus was reported among 13 students of a veterinary college, located at Pookode in Kerala’s Wayanad district.
According to a media report, after the health department reported that the virus could be dangerous among children and the elderly, health minister George on Friday held a meeting with doctors and health department officials and urged the people to be vigilant.
The doctors warned that the elderly and pregnant women should take extra precautions against the rare disease and wash hands properly before having a meal.
The doctors of the health department said the disease is transmitted by direct contact with an infected person, contaminated food or touching a contaminated surface, and putting unwashed hands in the mouth.
Norovirus is known as the ‘winter vomiting bug’ is highly infectious.
According to doctors, the common symptoms of the disease are diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and stomach pain.
It has been reported that the signs and symptoms are seen 12 to 48 hours after the person is exposed to Norovirus and it lasts for 3-4 days.
The state health department has asked the people to stay at home if found infected by Norovirus.
Doctors said a lot of water should be consumed to prevent dehydration and the infected persons must take rest at home.