For the first time ever, the Tripura government has decided to induct women in the Tripura State Rifles (TSR), two years after a 10 per cent quota was introduced for them in the force.

In a decision taken on July 7, the state cabinet approved 1,488 posts for the paramilitary force against which 35,642 candidates have applied.

Of the total, 4,752 are women, informed state’s law minister Ratan Lal Nath.

Nath further informed that the government has decided to make 75 per cent recruitment from within the state and the rest 25 per cent recruitment would be made from outside the state.

“We got 4,310 women candidates from our state and another 442 from outside the state,” Nath added.

For general category candidates, the minimum educational qualification is Class X qualified and age is 18-23 years old.

For Scheduled Tribe and Scheduled Caste candidates, the age bar is within 18-28 years and the candidate must have at least qualified Class VIII examination.

The candidates will require to appear for a 30-mark physical test and the qualified candidates will then sit for a written examination of 60 marks, which will be followed by an interview of 10 marks.

Nath further informed that the government, for the first time, has decided to introduce Kokborok language as a medium in the examination, besides Bengali, Hindi and English.

The written examination will be conducted by the CBSE and the state government will soon ink an MoU for the same, Nath said.

Nath further informed that of the 35,642 applicants, 20,377 are from Tripura and the rest 15,265 are from other states.

There are 16,062 men and 4,310 women candidates from within the state and there are 14,823 men and 442 women among the 15,265 candidates who have applied from outside the state.

Avatar photo


Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: