Nagaland chief secretary Temjen Toy on Tuesday said the state government is working on a new standard operating procedure to put in place the required quarantine and other protocols before arrival of the stranded and distressed citizens into the state.
Toy in a statement said the state government had been working making detailed plans to bring in people of the state who are stranded outside in a staggered manner keeping in view the state’s limitations in infrastructure for quarantine and other resources.
However, he said, the Centre’s announcement on Monday on introduction/resumption of special train services from Delhi and other major cities has thrown these plans out of gear.
He said the state government under these circumstances has decided to give first priority and preference to stranded senior citizens and patients who had gone for medical treatment, distressed persons and those facing difficulties for repatriation to the state.
The government has also decided to give Rs 10,000 to those citizens of the state presently staying outside but opt to stay back where they are at present.
Toy also cautioned that systems have been put in place to check fraudulent claims and punish such dishonest opportunists.
He said several civil societies, tribal hohos and NGOs have made appeals to the citizens stranded or staying outside the state not to come back at this juncture unless it is unavoidable.
The state government appreciated these appeals in view of the fact the states which are bringing in stranded people from affected parts of the country saw increase in Covid-19 positive cases.
“This is, therefore, a matter of great concern and a challenge for Nagaland which has fortunately remained Covid-19 free so far,” Toy added.
He said chief minister Neiphiu Rio has convened a meeting with all civil societies in Dimapur on Wednesday to invite opinions and discuss issues in this connection.