In a video message, Zoramthanga said about 693 people from Mizoram, who are stranded in four north-eastern states – Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura would be brought back home between April 30 and May 2 next.
The duration may be extended beyond May 2 if the stranded residents are not taken back within the stipulated time, he said.
He also said his government had approached the Union Home Ministry, which advised it to consult respective state governments.
“As per the MHA advice, we have contacted all respective state governments, which consented the proposal for bring back the stranded people,” he said.
About 154 Mizos in Assam, 318 in Manipur, 201 in Meghalaya and 20 in Tripura are stranded due to the nationwide lockdown that began from March 25.
According to the chief minister, the stranded residents, when returned will go for 14 days mandatory quarantine at nearest designated quarantine facility after undergoing medical screening or rapid test.
They will be placed under home quarantine after discharge from quarantine facilities and if anybody tested positive during screening they will be sent to designated COVID-19 hospital for treatment, he said.
Zoramthang also said the government would arrange vehicles for the stranded people, who do not have vehicles and those who possess private vehicles will be allowed to return on their own.
He reiterated that Mizoram would go by what the Centre decides on extension of lockdown.
“Though Mizoram has detected only one case so far, the State is still vulnerable to the virus due to cases in neighbouring states and strict vigilance along the borders should be maintained non-stop,” he said.
Zoramthanga also thanked medics, frontline workers, NGOs, village or local level task forces and other stakeholders for their effort to contain the spread of novel coronavirus in the State.