Mizoram CM Zoramthanga. File image
Mizoram CM Zoramthanga. File image

Mizoram chief minister Zoramthanga on Thursday said that 445 people from various states are stranded in Mizoram due to the nationwide lockdown.

He also said that the stranded people who are lodged in various relief camps across the state are being provided with all kinds of necessities.

Zoramthanga also expressed an apology to the Mizos, who had to be stranded in other parts of the state due to the nationwide lockdown.

He also said that the state government had been planning to bring back the Mizos stranded in other parts of the northeast but had to later drop the plan after the Centre extended the nationwide lockdown till May 3.

Although we have planned to bring back the Mizos stranded in the Northeast when our government announced the extension of lockdown on April 13, we could not execute the plan because the Centre extended the nationwide lockdown till May 3 and prohibited inter-district and inter-state movement,” he said.

The Mizoram Cabinet had earlier resolved to extend the ongoing lockdown for two weeks till April 30 before Prime Minister NarendraModi expanded the lockdown period till May 3.

Mizoram government had also recently launched a portal for the people of Mizoram, who are stranded in different parts of the country.

Zoramthanga said that the Mizos who are stranded in different parts of the country, can report and submit their details to an official website- tankhang.mizoram.gov.in.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in