Mizoram health minister Dr. R. Lalthangliana addressing the media. Image credit - Northeast Now

Mizoram health minister Dr. R. Lalthangliana said the state is reeling under worst Covid19 surge and the infection rate is “extremely alarming.”

Speaking to reporters during a press conference at Aizawl on Monday, health minister Lalthangliana said the Covid19 positive cases have increased exponentially since April this year.

The state’s Covid19 case trajectory showed a sharp upward movement as in April, a total of 1,655 cases were reported, which increased to 6,268 in May, 8,093 in June and 18,433 cases in July, he said.

The health minister said 360 Covid19 cases were reported in the state between January and March.

According to him, majority of the Covid19 cases were reported from Aizawl district, especially within Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC) area.

The state has so far reported 151 Covid19 fatalities, of which 118 were from Aizawl district, he said.

According to the health minister, the alarming growth rate of Covid19 cases in the Aizawl district has compelled the state government to extend total lockdown in AMC area for another seven days till August 7.

“Even though we have great concern for the economic impact of lockdown on people, especially daily labourers and traders, the extension of lockdown in AMC area was crucial to break the chain of transmission,” Lalthangliana said.

He said it was a collective decision taken by the state government, churches, NGOs, local leaders and medical experts.

Amid rising cases, the state also grapples with shortage of healthcare facilities, he said.

The state’s lone Covid19 dedicated hospital – Zoram Medical College (ZMC) – is congested with Covid19 patients, he said.

The health minister alleged that consignments of Covid19 related materials and medicines are stranded in Assam’s Cachar district due to blockade clamped in the Barak Valley region.

Earlier on Monday, the health minister wrote to Union Home Minister Amit Shah, health minister Mansuk Mandavya informing about medical supplies being stranded in Lailapur-Dholai area on National Highway-306 and sought the Centre’s intervention to lift the blockade.

He has also written to Assam health minister Keshab Mahanta regarding the matter.

State spokesperson on Covid19 Dr, Pachuau Lalmalsawma said 98.4% of the total Covid19 cases were “locally transmitted” cases while the rest 1.6% were imported cases (patients with travel history.

Mizoram on Monday reported 438 Covid19 cases, pushing the state’s tally to 39,363.

The number of active cases now stands at 11,841 while 27,371 people have recovered from the infection.

At least 151 people have succumbed to the infection so far.

Avatar photo

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in