Metbah Lyngdoh
Meghalaya Assembly Speaker Metbah Lyngdoh

A meeting convened by Meghalaya Assembly Speaker Metbah Lyngdoh decided to urge the citizens to provide sensitive support to all COVID-19 positive individuals and probable cases.

The meeting chaired by Lyngdoh was jointly held with the state government and the opposition on Thursday.

“Do not to stigmatize any individual as the virus can affect any person,” Lyngdoh urged.

The meeting was attended by Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma, deputy chief minister Prestone Tynsong, health minister A L Hek, Leader of Opposition Mukul Sangma and other MLAs, chief secretary, and other officers.

In the meeting, it was observed that the state government was fully prepared to deal with all cases that may need hospitalization.

Several suggestions were made by members of the opposition in the meeting and the government welcomed many of the suggestions.

In a joint statement, the meeting decided that returning individuals should be accepted and not stigmatise against them or their families.

Stating that the government is fully prepared to deal with all cases that may need hospitalization, the meeting said that the people should be respectful and kind to all health care staff and other frontline workers.

“In the coming days, many more individuals will return to the state. The government protocols and guidelines are to be strictly followed,” stated the joint statement signed by the Speaker, chief minister and leader of the opposition.

“Support of community COVID management committee is needed to enforce quarantine,” the statement added.

It also urged the people not to be fearful of the virus and follow the standard protocols relating to personal hygiene, hand washing, cough etiquette and social distancing.

The statement said that as per existing data, most people affected by the virus would not need hospitalization, and would recover by being under home isolation.

A detailed presentation was made by the Chief Secretary on the updates following the last meeting held on April 25.

The presentation highlighted the summary of stranded citizens, detailed the entry protocol and gave an insight on the evacuation model being followed to bring back stranded Meghalayans from various parts of the country.

The individuals were brought back via the five identified entry points as Bajengdoba, North Garo Hills, Byrnihat, Ri Bhoi district, Ratacherra, East Jaiñtia Hills, Tikrikilla, West Garo Hills and Mir Jhumla, South West Garo Hills district.

As on May 13, a total of 3978 stranded individuals have returned to the state.

The separate protocol for entry for individuals coming from the states of northeast and individuals coming from other states has been put in place.

All incoming individuals will have to be under home quarantine, along with families, for a period of 14 days.

A separate web link in the Meghalaya government portal was created to register stranded citizens outside North East. So far, over 9400 stranded individuals have registered, and 7100 individuals are expected to return.

Updates were also presented on the status of health infrastructure as well as the testing capacity and within two weeks, the testing capacity of Meghalaya is expected to increase to 600 tests per day.

As on May 13, a total of 2537 tests were conducted, out of which, 2526 tests declared negative. Out of 13 positive cases, there is one active positive case, and one deceased.

The largest Corona Care Centre and quarantine facility in the northeast was inaugurated at IIM, Umsawli with a total capacity of 258. This will accommodate asymptomatic and mild symptomatic individuals.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in