As the people in the city were busy celebrating Diwali by bursting crackers, a massive fire broke out at Raghunath Path in Dhirenpara area of Guwahati on Wednesday evening.
According to information, a total of three houses owned by one Maya Chakravarty turned to ashes in the fire.
Sources said, three LPG cylinders exploded during the incident.
There were 15 tenants in the three houses.
As per sources, it has been estimated that property worth more than Rs 5 lakh were destroyed in the fire.
A scooty has also been gutted in the incident.
Seven fire tenders were being pressed into service.
It has been suspected that fire crackers might have caused the fire.
As per report, the fire originated from the house of one tenant, identified as Shyamal Chakravarty.
It may be mentioned reports of fire are pouring in from different parts of the State.
On Tuesday at around 7:30 pm, a massive fire broke out in the Harijan Colony at the 4th Assam Police Battalion (APBn) in Kahilipara area in Guwahati.
According to initial reports, the fire was caused due to short circuit. However, locals claimed that the fire broke out due to bursting of crackers. Meanwhile, some people also claimed that the fire broke out due to multiple cylinder blasts, but the exact cause of the fire has not been ascertained yet.
According to media reports, around 14 houses were gutted in the fire, while several others were also damaged.
It was reported that more than 50 families were rendered homeless due to the incident of devastating fire.
The injured were immediately rushed to the hospitals in the city.