A professor’s quarter of Gauhati University here caught fire on Thursday morning. The fire broke out at quarter no 7 of the university, which belongs to Abani Kr Bhagawati, a professor of Geography department of the University.
Sources said Professor Bhagawati and his family members were not at the quarter when the incident occurred.
According to the fire officials, the fire broke out around 11 am due to electrical short-circuit. Materials worth Rs. 1 lakh was gutted in the mishap.
Materials including clothes, books and furniture were reduced to ashes in the fire.