In a bid to expedite the process and meet the deadline of final NRC list, the NRC authorities have decided to hold on spot disposal of claims for over one lakh people whose name figured in the additional Draft Exclusion List published on last Wednesday (June 26).
The NRC authorities have published the names of 102,462 persons in the additional Draft Exclusion List and said names of these people were included in the Draft NRC published on July 30 last year but subsequently been found ineligible for inclusion in the final NRC due to the different reasons.
“The 1, 02,462 people can file their claim for inclusion of their names and their claim will be disposed instantly. The hearing of the claims and disposition will be done on the spot. Hearing will be taken by the Disposing Officer instantly as the claim is filed and it will be disposed then and there itself,” said a senior official of the NRC.
The Assam government had last year published a draft NRC and it excluded names of 40, 07,707 people. Out of this, about 36.28 lakh people have filed fresh claims for inclusion of their names. However, the NRC authorities first accepted the claims and then summoned the individuals on a particular date for the hearing.
The NRC authorities have almost wrapped up the process of updating the NRC, which will be published on July 31 next.
After the publication of draft NRC last year, the NRC authorities have received claims of 36.28 lakh people. Apart from this the NRC authorities have also received about two lakhs objections against inclusion of other peoples’ name in the draft NRC.
“The process of claim and objection started on September 25 last year and ended on December 31, 2018. Hearing for the claims and objections started on February 15. We have almost wrapped up the hearing of claims and objections for the draft NRC of last year,” the official said adding that claims and hearing of these 102462 people are being held together so as to meet the deadline of July 31.