Six fishermen were electrocuted and three others injured on Friday when a live high-voltage wire touched the water of a pond in central Assam’s Nagaon district.
The incident took place around 6:00am at Uttar Khatowal village in Ruphi area under Juria police station of the district.
The victims have been identified as Rafiqul Islam, Jabar Ali, Mainul Islam, Habibur Rahman, Inamul Islam and Aashikul Islam.
“Nine people were fishing in the pond when an overhead electric cable fell in the pond. Three persons died on the spot while three others succumbed on their way to the hospital,” Hindustan Times quoted a police official as saying.
Three others who sustained injuries are being treated in Nagaon Civil Hospital.
Upset at the incident and mob of irate villagers damaged the residence of an employee of the electricity department.
Armed with sticks, irate villagers went to the residence of the electricity and damaged his car, police said.
Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has ordered an inquiry into the incident.
State Water Resources Minister Keshab Mahanta, Additional Chief Secretary Jishnu Barua and Nagaon DC Biswajit Pegu rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
Reacting to the incident, Assam Congress has held power department responsible for the incident.
Demanding immediate resignation of Power Minister Tapan Gogoi Assam PCC president Ripun Bora said Gogoi has totally failed to run the department.
“The power minister has completely failed to run the department. We demand his immediate resignation,” he said.
“Due to Tapan Kumar Gogoi and his department’s negligence, many people have died of electrocution. This government always tries to escape from responsibility,” Bora pointed out.