Representational image

Girl students from Northeast who want to pursue their study in Karnataka could stay together in a government hostel, exclusively setup for the students of the region.

Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy informed DoNER Minister Dr Jitendra Singh on Thursday that the hostel for students from Northeast has been built in Bengaluru and is ready for inauguration soon.

In 2016, the DoNER minister had laid the foundation stone of the hostel for Northeast girl students in Bengaluru.

The hostel, which is the first of its kind in Bangalore University, has a capacity to accommodate more than 250 students. The hostel has been funded by the North Eastern Council (NEC).

The purpose of building the hostel is to support the students from Northeast who are pursuing their studies in that region. The Minister informed that 75 percent of the seats in the hostel are proposed to be reserved for Northeast students, while the remaining 25 percent seats are proposed to be earmarked for students from other parts of country.

“The composition of students from Northeast and other parts of the country will help in better integration,” Dr Singh said. Considering the fact that Bangalore University attracts students from Northeast in huge numbers, many of whom find it difficult to afford accommodation, Dr Singh said, “it will be helpful for them, especially girl students.”

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: nenow24x7@gmail.com

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.