A 27-year-old youth from Assam’s Nagaon district has died due to black fungus.
The deceased person has been identified as Pal Moni Bora from Dhing in Assam’s Nagaon district.
Pal Moni Bora was admitted to the Apollo hospital in Guwahati on May 16 in a critical condition.
“From 15th May 2021, he developed decreased vision in both eyes and other post Covid complications at his home,” a statement from the Apollo Hospital read.
“The patient was diagnosed as Covid related rhino-cerebral-mucormycosis with diabetic ketoacidosis and complications leading to multi-organ failure. In spite of the best efforts by the clinical team the patient expired at 6am on 19th May 2021,” the statement further read.
Mucormycosis, also known as black fungus, is caused by a group of mould called mucormycetes.
These fungi live in the environment, particularly in soil and in decaying organic matter, such as leaves, compost piles, or rotten wood, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
When someone breathes these fungal spores, they are likely to get the infection that commonly affects the sinuses or lungs.
Medical experts say mucormycosis is an “opportunistic infection” – it latches on to people who are battling illnesses or are on medications that lower the body’s ability to fight infections.
According to Union health ministry Mucormycosis is not entirely new. For prevention of black fungus attack, the government has recommended not to give steroids at the onset of Covid-19 but after the sixth day when there will be oxygen requirement.
“When a patient is put on oxygen support, which has a humidifier containing water, the chances of him or her getting the fungal infection increases. It should be ensured that water does not leak from the humidifier,” the government has recommended.