At least six houses were gutted in a devastating fire in Dibrugarh on Monday evening. 

The fire broke out at Prem Nagar area of Chandmari ghat in Assam’s Dibrugarh town on Monday. 

According to eyewitness, the fire broke out at around 6.30pm. 

The fire broke out in a grocery shop. Owner of the shop has been identified as Raju Singh. 

Also read: Assam: Guwahati’s daily COVID-19 caseload exceeds 1000, educational institutes and hostels shut

Raju Singh had lit a candle in the shop after power cut. The fire is suspected to have broken out from the candle. 

The local residents informed the fire services immediately. 

Several fire tenders rushed to the spot immediately and after much struggle, the fire was doused. 

Property worth lakhs of rupees were destroyed in the fire. 

The fire gutted the main residence of a person named Mohan Mahavir and five other rented accommodations in his resident premises. 

Also read: Senior journalist from Assam Aiyushman Dutta succumbs to COVID-19

This is the second incident of fire reported from Dibrugarh in less than a week. 

On Wednesday last, fire had gutted as many as four houses in Subhash Pally area of Dibrugarh injuring three persons. 

Avik Chakraborty

Avik Chakraborty is Northeast Now Correspondent in Dibrugarh. He can be reached at: babs8oct@gmail.com