Bholanath College (BN College) in Dhubri, a premier institute of Lower Assam, established in 1946, completed its glorious journey of 75 years and celebrated its Platinum Jubilee.
As a prelude to the events in the beginning, a bust of the founder and donor of the college, Bholanath Choudhary was unveiled by Assam minister in-charge of Dhubri district, Ranjeet Kumar Dass on Monday.
The college was established to cater to the increasing demand for higher education.
It was inaugurated on August 16, 1946 after the tireless efforts of the then district magistrate of undivided Goalpara, Jahirul Houqe.
Bholanath College, being the premier seat of learning in the western part of Assam, has so far earned many laurels for the state.
On August 26, 1944, a meeting was held at Dhubri Govt. High School premises in presence of late Zahirul Huq Esqr, the then deputy commissioner of erstwhile Goalpara district, where the feasibility of a college in both Arts and Science streams at Dhubri was discussed.
A resolution was taken in the meeting to establish a college – Dhubri College – which was attended by Rai Bahadur BM Dutta, Rai Bahadur AU Ghosh, Khan Bahadur Abdul Mozid Ziaos Shames, RK Bose, Zahaduddin Ahmed, Mukunda Narayan Barua, SK Bose and many others.
In 1946, the college was re-named as Bholanath College after Bholanath Choudhuri.
Bholanath Choudhuri was the father of Jyotsna Nath Choudhri, Zamindar of Mechpara, who donated Rs. 1 lakh and offered the facilities of using the lands and buildings at Dhubri belonging to his mother till such time as it would be possible for the college to shift to its permanent sites and habitation.
The college started functioning from the present DEEO office located at ward No. 2, Dhubri town and was formally inaugurated on August 16, 1946 and the Principal of the college was Dr. Phani Bhushan Ray.
Initially, the college was affiliated to Calcutta University.
Later, it was affiliated to Gauhati University when it came into being in 1948.
In 1960-61, the college was shifted to the present campus at ward No. 15. of Dhubri town.
Synchronizing with the occasion, Dhubri district guardian minister Ranjeet Kumar Dass announced a grant of Rs 50 lakh for the development of the college.
Speaking on the occasion, minister Dass gave an assurance that he would do his best in a bid to upgrade the college to turn it into a university.
On this occasion, the Bholanath College Anthem, written and composed by Loknath Goswami, was also unveiled by the food & civil supply, PHE and P& RD minister Ranjeet Kumar Dass.
Among the prominent former students of Bholanath College, who were present on this occasion are South Salmara MLA Wajed Ali Choudhary, Mankachar MLA Aminul Islam,Golakganj Ex-MLA Ashwani Roy Sarkar, Bilasipara East MLA Ashok Kr Singhi and BJP’s Dhubri district president Dr Debamoy Sanyal.
Dhubri deputy commissioner Anbamuthan MP, Principal of BN College Dr Dhurba Chakraborty, president of BN College Governing Body Debashish Bhattacharya and the family members of Bholanath Choudhary and a host of other dignitaries were also present on the occasion.