One person died on Wednesday and another 175 taken ill due to food poisoning after consuming lunch served in packets during a function held at the Diphu Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) in Diphu in Karbi Anglong district.
The deceased patient, Kangbura Bey died at the hospital where he was being treated for food poisoning.
Bey was a resident of Bakalia.
Assam chief minister had inaugurated the academic session of MBBS course at the medical college on Tuesday.
A total of 145 persons have been admitted to the DMCH with complaints of food poisoning, of which 30 have been discharged.
The deceased patient Kangbura Bey died in the hospital where he was admitted.
Chief executive member of Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC) Tuliram Ronghang rushed to the hospital on Wednesday morning to take stock of the situation.
Tuliram Ronghang said, “Doctors are doing their best in providing treatment to those down with food poisoning. The patients too are responding well to the treatment.”
“Food samples have been collected and sent to the laboratory for testing. A probe will be ordered into the tragic incident and the guilty will be punished according to the law,” said Ronghang.
The treatment is being provided for free for these patients.
KAAC members also distributed free blankets among them on Wednesday.