Ranjeet Neog, Associate Director of Students’ Welfare of the Assam Agricultural University (AAU), in an RTI reply held the BJP and Kamrup (Metro) administration responsible for the destruction of the playground at Khanapara in Guwahati.
Several social, political and sports organisations have also blamed the Sarbananda Sonowal-led Government for destruction of the picturesque playground located at the southern fringe of Guwahati city. The RTI reply by AAU has raised several questions on the issue:
1. Why did the AAU blame only the BJP for destruction of the playground? During Sonia Gandhi’s visit to Guwahati, the wall of the playground was broken in two places, and even 20 trees were cut in the western periphery of the playground. Why wasn’t the Congress held responsible for breaking the wall?
2. Vice-Chancellor of AAU K.M. Bujarbaruah claimed the Associate Director of Students’ Welfare, Ranjeet Neog, was not authorised to reply to the RTI application. Why didn’t the PIO of AAU reply to the RTI application on the important issue?
3. The Vice-Chancellor said the Associate Director of Students’ Welfare, Ranjeet Neog, is not the official spokesman of the AAU. If he was not the official spokesman of the university, why did Ranjeet Neog make statement on a news report by Northeast Now on the social media?
4. Why didn’t the AAU authorities protest when earth was being filled on the twin cricket pitch and concrete blocks were being laid at the playground for setting up of the helipad?
5. Why was the AAU authority silent on the damages caused to the playground in Khanapara for such a long time? Is it under pressure from the incumbent Government and the district administration?
6. The AAU authorities raised huge fund by letting out the playground for non-sporting activities. Why didn’t it use the fund for repair works and upkeep of the playground?