The IPL 2020, which was scheduled to get underway on March 29, was initially suspended until April 15 after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the first phase of lockdown for 21 days on March 24 last.
However, with the COVID-19 crisis intensifying across the globe, Modi said on Monday that the lockdown will be extended till May 3.
The BCCI in press statement issued on Thursday said, “Due to the evolving global health concerns regarding COVID-19 and lockdown measures implemented by the Government of India to contain the spread of the pandemic, the IPL Governing Council of the BCCI has decided that the IPL 2020 Season will be suspended until further notice.”
“The health and safety of the nation and everyone involved in our great sport remains our top priority and a scuh, the BCCI along with the franchise owners, broadcasters and sponsors and all the stakeholders acknowledge the IPL 2020 season will only commence when it is safe and appropriate to do so.”
About conducting 13th edition of the league later in the year, the board said, “BCCI will continue to monitor and review the situation regarding a potential start date in close partnership with all of its stakeholders and will continue to take guidance from the Government of India, State Governments and other State Regulatory bodies.”
Earlier, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had said that no decision had been made on the fate of the IPL 2020 as the board was at the same place where it was when they announced the suspension of the tournament.