The Nagaland State Forest Department on Monday issued a general appeal for the protection and conservation of wildlife in the State.

A statement from the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) and Chief Wildlife Warden, Nagaland, Satya Prakash Tripathi said that with passage of time and increasing population, biotic pressure on forests has significantly increased.

“The survival of human beings and animals, both directly as well as indirectly, depends on forests; as their basic needs in the form of food, water, and shelter are met from forests. In addition to these tangible benefits, forests play key role in carbon sequestration, amelioration of environment and climate change,” the statement said.

In Nagaland, Tripathi said that the lion’s share (88.3%) of forests are under the control of individuals and communities and the remaining 11.7% of the forests are under the control of the Government.

The Government, it admitted has very limited regulatory role in management of private forests. “Since time immemorial, administration and people of the State had /have played an important role in protection and maintenance of forests in the form of Community Conservation Areas. Communities had / have bigger role to play as compared to the Government for protection of forests and wildlife in the State,” he said.

The PCCF added that the existence of wildlife is a good indicator of good forests and subsequently availability of timber, firewood, medicinal plants for human beings. Stating that the state of Nagaland had traditionally been a hunting state since time immemorial, he noted that now, people are coming forward for protection of wildlife and they are rescuing wild animals and donating wild animals and birds which are kept in Nagaland Zoological Park, Rangapahar and Tragopan Breeding Centre, Kohima.

With the efforts of the administration, people and different agencies of the Government, NGOs etc, Amur flacons were well protected in the State during their migration in 2013 and onwards, he reminded.

On behalf of the Forest Department, the PCCF appealed to the public, government officials, Village Councils, army and para military personnel, students, NGOs and other stakeholders for protection of wildlife.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.