Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Thursday called for peace, restraint and dialogue after violence during a protest rally in Shillong triggered tensions and a blockade between the neighbouring states.
The two chief ministers spoke after the fallout from the Khasi Studentsโ Union (KSU) โBlack Flagโ bike rally in Shillong spilled into Assam, where taxi and commercial vehicle drivers blocked traffic to Meghalaya at Khanapara and Jorabat.
Sarma said he had conveyed Assamโs concerns to Sangma over the recent incidents in Shillong, particularly those involving Assam-registered vehicles. He said Assam Minister for Border Protection Atul Bora had been asked to coordinate with Meghalaya authorities to ensure that โpeace and normalcy prevailโ between the two states.
โAssam and Meghalaya are sister states, bound by deep historical, cultural and people-to-people ties. Mutual respect, restraint and sensitivity must guide us at all times,โ Sarma said in a social media post.
โWe must do everything within our power to preserve the harmony, friendship and goodwill that have long defined the relationship between our people,โ he added.
Sangma said he had spoken with Sarma about the โunfortunate violenceโ in Shillong on August 19 and the reactions that followed, which had affected common people and commuters in both States.
The two chief ministers agreed to work together to normalise the situation, Sangma said. Designated Cabinet ministers from both states would meet to take the discussions forward and explore ways to restore peace, trust and normalcy, he added.
The calls for calm came after the KSU rallyโs fallout spread to Assam on Thursday, with Assam-based taxi and commercial vehicle drivers blocking traffic to Meghalaya at Khanapara and Jorabat.
The blockade followed allegations of stone-pelting, vandalism and assaults on motorists and passengers during the rally in Shillong on Wednesday evening. The state driversโ association alleged that Assam-registered vehicles were specifically targeted.
In a statement, the association demanded an apology from Sangma and Meghalaya Tourism Minister Timothy D. Shira, besides compensation from the Meghalaya government.
The alleged targeting of Assam-registered vehicles and travellers drew condemnation in Assam, with political and student leaders urging dialogue to prevent further escalation.
Assam Mahila Congress president Mira Borthakur questioned the government over what she described as repeated incidents involving Assamese drivers and tourists in neighbouring states and asked who would bear the losses caused by damage to vehicles.
AASU general secretary Samiron Phukan warned that the developments could strain Assam-Meghalaya ties and called for dialogue. He also demanded that those behind the alleged attacks be identified, arrested and punished. Phukan said the AASU would engage with the KSU and the North East Studentsโ Organisation (NESO).
Asom Jatiya Parishad president Lurinjyoti Gogoi also condemned the alleged attacks and urged Meghalaya to ensure the safety of visitors.
The developments have heightened tensions between the two states, with the chief ministers now seeking to contain the fallout through dialogue and coordination.
