As many as 197 people still remains missing while 20 people have been confirmed dead in the devastating flash floods that wreaked havoc in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district on Sunday.

This was informed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah to the Parliament on Tuesday.

The Union Home Minister further said that the situation in Uttarakhand is being monitored round-the-clock at the highest level by the Centre and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Home Minister Amit Shah also informed that the Uttarakhand Government has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 4 Lakhs each for the next of the kin of the deceased.

Further speaking about the rescue operations, which are underway in Uttarakhand, Home Minister Amit Shah while speaking in the Lok Sabha said, “12 people of NTPC project were safely rescued from one tunnel, 15 people of Rishiganga project were also rescued at the time of incident. 25-35 people feared trapped in 2nd tunnel of NTPC project, efforts are underway on war footing to rescue them.”

Also read: Home Minister Amit Shah to visit Assam again on February 11

“ITBP has set up its control room and its 450 jawans are carrying out search and rescue operation. 5 teams of NDRF are at the site. 8 teams of Army also there, one medical column and an ambulance are also positioned at the site of the incident. A diving team of Navy is also there,” said Amit Shah.

“5 helicopters of the Air Force have also been deployed in the operation,” Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in Lok Sabha.

“I assure the House that the Centre is extending all possible assistance to the state government for relief and rescue work. The central government is working in close coordination with the state and all necessary steps, which are considered appropriate, are being taken,” he said.

Essential food and medical supplies are being provided to affected villages through helicopters, Shah said.

Meanwhile, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), which is leading the rescue operations informed that all measures are being taken to expedite the rescue operations.

“A joint team of ITBP, NDRF, SDRF & other agencies conducting rescue operation used drone camera to see feasibility to enter beyond cleared site inside Tapovan tunnel. They haven’t been successful so far. Machines deployed to clear slush,” ITBP said.

Also read: Proud to be Indian Muslim, says Ghulam Nabi Azad as Parliamentarians and PM Narendra Modi bid adieu to Congress stalwart from Rajya Sabha

Meanwhile, Uttarakhan Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat paid a visit to the 12 rescued persons who are undergoing treatment.

Avatar photo

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in