The United States (US) President Donald Trump on Sunday said that the US government won’t pay for the security of Prince Harry and his wife Meghan if they live in the country.

Responding to reports that the couple has moved to California, Trump tweeted on Sunday, “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom.”

“It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the US however, the US will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!” he added.

In January, the couple had announced that they decided to step back from their royal duties.

The Buckingham palace had in a statement said that the couple would stop using their His/Her Royal Highness (HRH) titles and would not be receiving public funds for royal duties.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives,” the statement said.

“As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties,” it added.

Since late last year, Harry and Meghan have been based on Canada’s Vancouver Island.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in