Bengaluru Airport
Screenshots of Bengaluru Airport on Monday.

The Kempe Gowda International Airport (KIAL) in Bengaluru, also known as Bengaluru Airport, was flooded due to heavy rains on Monday, causing major inconvenience to the international travellers till midnight.

In video clips, shared on social media, it is seen that the travellers were ferried by tractors to the terminal.

The heavy downpour not only brought Bengaluru city to a standstill but also exposed the lack of preparedness and planning of the civic agencies.

The road to the Kempegowda International Airport (Bengaluru airport) was water-logged making it difficult for the passengers to reach the airport.

Also read: Security forces kill 3 LeT-TRF terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, joint operation continues in Shopian

According to the Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre (KSNDMC), from October 1-9, the Bengaluru Urban district recorded 78 mm rain as against the normal 61 mm, an excess of 28%.

A media report quoted experts as saying that with more rain expected over the next two weeks, the city may break all previous records.

It has been reported that as knee-deep water stood at the terminal concourse of the Bengaluru Airport due to heavy rains, passengers had a tough time as taxis were stranded for hours and a few of them could not even start.

As per a report, hundreds of cabs in KIAL premises developed technical snags after being partially submerged in the rainwater.

Videos of international travellers boarding the tractors with their luggage for travelling to the airport terminal where cabs could not reach due to the increase in water levels went viral on social media platforms.

However, the situation was brought under control by the authorities, including the police department, by midnight, reports say.

CK Baba, DCP (North East Division) said, “The police department along with airport authorities at KIAL helped to clear waterlogging and also facilitated the traffic near toll gates till late in the night as traffic was delayed for two to three hours.”

Baba informed that pumping machines were used to flush out water, and all the senior officers were present at the airport premises to manage and monitor the situation.

Sajeeth VJ, DCP Traffic (North Division), stated that he reviewed the situation on Tuesday morning and the rainwaters were flushed out.

While sharing a video, the Andhra Pradesh Weatherman tweeted: “Bengaluru airport after a Heavy 178 mm in last 24 hours, as expected.”


Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: