The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has termed a report on Lockdown 5.0 as ‘fake news’.

India Today in a report on Wednesday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi will make the announcement on the lockdown during his radio programme, Mann Ki Baat.

According to the report, during his address to the nation in the programme, Modi is likely to speak on the “next phase of lockdown from June 1 that may come into force after Lockdown 4.0 ends on May 31”.

The report quoted home ministry sources as saying: “Lockdown 5.0 will mainly focus on 11 cities with 70 per cent of the total coronavirus cases in India”.

However, the MHA spokesperson in a tweet termed the claims as “mere speculations by the reporter” and said attributing them to the MHA is “incorrect”.

“The quoted story claims to have inside details about #Lockdown5, from MHA Sources,” the MHA spokesperson tweeted.

“All claims made therein are mere speculations by the reporter. To attribute them to MHA is incorrect and being irresponsible,” the spokesperson added.

The report also quoted MHA sources as saying that Modi in his address will emphasise on the lockdown spirit and announce measures on easing of restrictions in most parts of the country.

Prime Minister Modi announced the first phase of nationwide lockdown from March 24 midnight in view of the COVID19 pandemic.

The nationwide lockdown was extended for the fourth time till May 31 due to the increasing positive cases of COVID19 across the country.

India has registered 1,51,767 COVID19 positive cases so far with 4,337 deaths.

Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Delhi have reported the highest number of COVID19 positive cases.

Globally, the COVID19 has affected over 56 lakh people and at least 3.5 lakh people have died so far.

Avatar photo

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in