Following the announcement of restarting passenger train services by Indian Railways with effect from May 12, the IRCTC started booking online tickets in the evening on Monday (May 11).
Many of the stranded people have already started their journey in trains after booking tickets online.
You can also book tickets online using IRCTC website and app.
It was already announced that trains can be booked only on IRCTC website or app.
No one will be able to book tickets at Indian Railways counters.
The Union Home Ministry in its guidelines (SOP) issued on the movement of passengers by train in view of COVID19 said people can travel by trains only if they have confirmed e-tickets.
Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), a subsidiary of the Indian Railways, has been set up by the Ministry of Railways to handle the catering, tourism and online ticketing operation of the Indian Railways.
You can also book railway tickets using the IRCTC website irctc.co.in and mobile app during lockdown.
How to book train tickets using irctc.co.in?
* Open a web browser and type irctc.co.in.
* To create an IRCTC account, visit the IRCTC website and just click on the ‘Register’ button on the top right corner of the website.
* You will be asked to enter your details including username, password, preferred language, name, date of birth, mobile number, email address, address and more.
After filling the details you will have to agree to the terms and conditions already set. Then click on the register button and your IRCTC account will be created.
* Existing users can just click on the login button displayed on the homepage.
Then enter username > password > captcha code > click on Sign in.
* You will then need to enter the source and destination > select the journey date > class of coach > click on “Find Trains” option.
* Now select the train you wish to book a seat for in from the list shown and also the class of the coach.
Indian Railways has already announced that the trains (15 pairs initially) will only have AC coaches.
* Click to check the availability of seats and also the prices of the ticket on the selected train.
* You can proceed to book the ticket if seats are available. Click on Book Now option > fill your details such as name, age, gender, and berth preference.
* Then the IRCTC will provide you an option to book ticket only if the confirmed berths are allotted.
* Enter your mobile number and the captcha, and then click on the ‘Continue’ booking option.
* Now you will have to make payment for the ticket.
Select your payment option > choose the preferred option from debit card, net banking, UPI, credit card, and others.
* If your payment is successful you will be able to download the ticket online.
You will also receive an SMS on your phone number.
You can also book tickets through IRCTC mobile app.
The mobile app can be installed through Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
How to book train tickets using the IRCTC mobile app?
The process to book train tickets using IRCTC mobile app is almost the same as the process followed in the website.
In mobile app too, you will have to create an IRCTC account and follow the same process as the website.
* After downloading the app, open the app on your phone and then click on the login option > enter your user ID, password and captcha.
* Then tap on “Plan my journey” option and enter the origin and destination stations, select date and tap on Search trains.
* Select trains > coach type > check availability > enter passenger details.
* Then you will have to make the payment selecting the payment options like credit card, debit card, net banking and UPI.
If the payment is successful you will be able to download the ticket.
IRCTC on its website said: “The ARP will be maximum 7 days and only confirmed tickets will be booked. Booking of Waitlist and RAC tickets is not permitted.”
Current, Tatkal and Premium Tatkal bookings are not permitted.
“Online cancellation permitted up to 24 hours before scheduled departure of train. Cancellation charges will be 50% of fare,” IRCTC said in the website.
“Passenger to report at least 90 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train at boarding station,” it added.