Two adult male elephant carcasses, electrocuted to death were found in a tea garden in Karbi Anglong district on Monday.
The incident took place at Dhansiri tea garden, about 25 km from Bokajan town, under Borpathar police station.
“Both the elephants were adult males. Preliminary investigations suggest the trunks of the elephants touched the live wire while passing through the tea garden. They were killed on the spot,” said a forest officer in Karbi Anglong, reported TOI.
Members of the forest staff informed the elephants had strayed into the tea garden in search of food and came in contact with a high voltage electric wire while they were returning to the forest.