Image: Northeast Now

The trafficked minor girl was on Wednesday brought back to Tripura.

A four-member government team went to Rajasthan to bring her back.

The 14-year-old girl was trafficked from Tripura to Silchar, from there to Delhi, and from Delhi to Rajasthan.

In between, she was sold twice.

Nilima Ghosh, chairperson of Tripura Commission for Child Right Protection said the girl was trafficked around four months back.

Also read: Minor Tripura girl trafficked to Rajasthan to be brought back

Her mother is very poor and she gave her daughter to a neighbour for her marriage.

That man sold her.

Then one day she ran away from her in-law’s house.

Mandwa police in Rajasthan later traced her.

The man who claimed that he married that minor girl told to police his wife was missing.

He claimed she married the girl.

The girl was kept in a home because she refused to go with him.

Later, the SDM of Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan directed to re-investigate the matter.

The matter reached the National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights.

The commission asked the Tripura police to confirm the identity of the girl, and the Tripura police did so.

The Tripura High Court after getting inputs from media took a self-motivated public interest litigation.

The court took up the matter on June 18.

Notices were issued to the State Government, National and State Level Commission for Protection of Child Rights, Legal Services Authority, etc.

The court took steps to return the girl to her family.

On June 19, the matter came before the court again.

Then it was known that the girl was ill.

She was COVID-19 positive.

On July 6, the matter came up again in court.

The court said the minor should be brought back to Tripura.

The girl has been separated from the family in unfortunate circumstances, the court maintained.

Within a few months of separation from the family, the minor became pregnant, and an abortion was performed.

The public interest litigation is pending in the bench of Tripura High Court Chief Justice AK Qureshi and Justice Shubhashis Talapatra.

The last time the matter came to court was on Monday last.

It is learned that two accused in the case have been arrested in Rajasthan and are now in jail.

Avatar photo


Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: