The four convicts in the Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case will be hanged to death on January 22 at 7 am.
A Delhi court on Tuesday issued death warrant for the four convicts.
The verdict comes during the hearing of a plea seeking the issuance of ‘black warrant’ against the four convicts in the Nirbhaya gang rape and murder case.
The Supreme Court had confirmed the death penalty awarded to one of the four convicts—Akshay Thakur, in the gruesome case after it dismissed his plea which sought a review of its 2017 judgment.
The top court said the review petition was not “re-hearing of appeal over and over again” and it had already considered the mitigating and aggravating circumstances while upholding the death penalty.
With the December 18 verdict, the review petitions of all the four death row convicts stood dismissed.
On July 9 last year, the top court had dismissed the review pleas filed by the other three convicts — Mukesh (32), Pawan Gupta (25) and Vinay Sharma (26) — in the case, saying no grounds have been made out by them for the review.
A media report quoted Badrinath Singh, father of the gangrape victim, as saying: “I am happy with the court’s decision. The convicts will be hanged at 7 am on January 22. This decision will instill fear in people who commit such crimes.”
Nirbhaya’s mother Asha Devi on Tuesday also expressed satisfaction over the judgement.
She said: “Absolutely. Execution of the four convicts will empower the women of the country. This decision will strengthen the trust of people in the judicial system.”
Meanwhile, Pawan Jallad, the probable hangman, said he is ready to hang the four accused in the Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case.
Pawan Jallad is a third-generation executioner at the Meerut Jail.
He expressed his desire to hang the four accused.
A media report quoted Pawan Jallad as saying, after the pronouncement of the order, “I am ready to hang them.”