Newly-inducted Arunachal Pradesh home minister Bamang Felix on Thursday said the new government will neither tolerate violence of any form nor it will spare anyone who tries to destabilise peace in the state.
Felix, who was addressing media persons at the police headquarters in Itanagar, said that the present government’s top priority is to strengthen the deteriorating law and order apparatus in the state.
He also said strategic plans have been made to regain the state’s lost glory of being the ‘land of peace’.
Felix said, “The home department has decided to involve people from all walks for life, may it be the students, community-based organisations or youths to deal with the law and order problem in the state through the mission ‘Humara Arunachal Abhiyaan’.”
“The mission aims at reducing violence and crime in the state by taking firm action against those who try to hamper peace,” he added.
He said the ‘campaign’ would be kicked off soon by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
Arunachal Pradesh has of late witnessed widespread violence over the span of a few months.
Three youths were killed while several others were injured during clashes which took place in the capital over the issuance of Permanent Resident Certificates to non-Arunachalees in February while Khonsa West MLA and 10 others were gunned down by suspected militants on May 21 in Triap district.
The state also witnessed several instances of election related violence in the past month.
In terms of dealing with violence in the ground, the home minister said, the government has sanctioned the creation of 1000 new posts of civil police officers so as to strengthen the existing force.
“The government has also proposed for the creation of an ‘anti-riot battalion’ which would effectively deal with law and order problems. The proposal is, however, in the conceptual stage and we have written to the finance department seeking its approval,” Felix said.
Felix also announced that bulletproof vehicles will be provided to the legislators and ministers travelling to the Tirap, Longding and Changlang region.
In regards to modernisation of the state’s police force as assured by chief minister Khandu last year, the home minister informed that the government has already sanctioned an amount of Rs 9.5 crore for the same and the modernization process would always continue.
Speaking on the Khonsa massacre DGP S.B.K Singh and Commissioner (Home) Ashish Chandra Verma said that the Indian army has been directed to seal the borders with Nagaland and Myanmar.
“A joint operation of the Army and the police has already been launched to nab the culprits involved in the killings of MLA Aboh and 10 others. Moreover, the government has already recommended handing over the case to the national investigating agency (NIA),” the commissioner said
Talking about the Toko Yame, Ojin Taying and Ngurang Pinch murder cases and the CBI’s refusal to take over the case, DGP Singh said the police have been carrying out its investigation throughout this time in all these cases.
The cases were referred to the CBI as demanded by the people and the family members.
Also, every detailed investigation including scientific tests has been carried out as per the demand of the family members, he added.
“We have finished the chargesheet of Toko Yame case and very soon it will be submitted in the court of law. In the Ngurang Pinch case, the police department has conducted several scientific tests including lie detector tests of 14 people. These cases are still being investigated by the police even though the CBI has refused taking them,” Singh said.
In regards to the Ojing Taying murder case, Singh said that all scientific investigations have been completed but the police have not been able to get into the exact details.
“I request the people to help us get clues in this case. Also the cabinet has already decided to increase the reward amount for the one giving information regarding the culprits involved in this case from Rs 1 to Rs 3 lakh,” Singh said.