Union culture minister Prahlad Patel on Thursday said that all the monuments across the country will be opened for public with complete security measures from July 6.

He also said that the decision was taken after consultation with the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).

Patel also assured that all the guidelines issued by the union health ministry to contain the spread of the coronavirus will be followed strictly.

A total of 3,691 centrally-protected monuments and archaeological sites maintained by the ASI were shut from March 17.

However, in the last month, the culture ministry had reopened 820 monuments where religious events take place.

After the shutdown of historical monuments due to the nationwide lockdown, the tourism industry in the country suffered a huge loss.

The decision to open the historical monuments comes at a time when the coronavirus cases across the country are increasing at an alarming rate daily.

India still continues to be the fourth worst-hit country in the world due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to John Hopkins University tally.

India on Monday witnessed a spike of 19148 cases in last 24 hours, pushing the total tally to 6,04,641 according to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.

The number of active coronavirus cases in the country is 2,26,497 so far.

A total of 3,59,859 people has recovered and been discharged from hospitals.

According to the Health Ministry data, 434 deaths were recorded in the last 24hours taking the COVID-19 death toll to 17,834.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in