In yet another incident of tragic fallout of man-elephant conflict, a wild pachyderm lost its life in the Garo Hills region of Meghalaya.
An adult male elephant moving through Baghmara reserve forest was electrocuted early Saturday morning after coming in contact with a powerful 11 Kilo Watt transmission line that was passing through the reserve area.
The male wild jumbo came in contact with the power line passing through the forests, at around 3:30 am, at a place called Bhawanipur, 6 kms from Baghmara, on the road towards Rongara.
The electric power transmission line passing through the forest region gives electricity to the Rangasora village area.
The elephant bore cuts and sores in some parts of its body, suggesting that it may have tried to scratch itself to a fallen tree that had touched the power line.
This is not the first time that animals, especially elephants, have died from human activities along its route.
The entire stretches of the reserve forests in Baghmara and Rongara are home to several herds of wild elephants that move around the Baghmara forests and also into the plains of neighbouring Bangladesh.
Several elephant have died of electrocution in region earlier also.