Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma has sent out a strong message to the perpetrators of the IED blast at Laitumkhrah in Shillong on Friday.
“None involved in IED blast in Shillong will be spared,” said Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma.
Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma added: “Those, who are a threat to peace will be punished.”
CM Conrad Sangma further ruled out any possibility of an intelligence failure that led to the explosion resulting in injuries to two persons.
“At this point we cannot say that there was an intelligence failure,” CM Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma said.
He added: “Strongly condemn the IED blast reported in Laitumkhrah earlier this afternoon.”
Following the blast, security has been beefed up in Shillong and nearby areas.
This IED explosion in Meghalaya’s capital city comes in the run-up to the Independence Day celebrations.
Notably, two persons including a woman sustained injuries after an IED went off at the Laitumkhrah market in Shillong on Friday at around 1:30pm.
According to eyewitnesses, the explosion rattled doors and windows in the vicinity of Laitumkhrah.
“Immediately after the incident, bomb squad, Crime Scene Unit and Dog Squad were sent to the spot for a collection of evidence. During the preliminary investigation, it is ascertained that blast occurred due to IED,” East Khasi Hills SP Sylvester Nongtnger said in a statement.
Notably, banned rebel outfit – Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) – has claimed responsibility for the blast.
Reacting to the role of HNLC behind the attack, the Meghalaya chief minister said that the outfit must surrender first in order to sit for negotiations.
“Our stand is very clear. They (HNLC) must surrender first, following which they can sit for talks with us,” Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma said.