The Meghalaya government has decided to bear the travel expenses of stranded residents who are returning to the state only till June 10.
This was informed by deputy chief minister Prestone Tynsong on Monday after a review meeting chaired by chief minister Conrad K Sangma.
“For those who are returning to the State, the government will bear the travel expenses till June 10.
“However, we have taken a decision that from June 11 onwards, those who are coming in, the transportation charges have to be borne by the individuals be it from Guwahati Railway Station or the Airport, though the government will arrange the vehicles,” Tynsong informed.
A total of 13,990 residents of Meghalaya, who had been stranded in other parts of the country, re-entered the state till Monday.
“The number of stranded people who had registered with the government was 10,288 and eligible for free transportation. However, we have gone beyond this number for their safety, and we need to stop somewhere,” Tynsong said.
He also said that the registration of all returnees from outside the state is mandatory through the Corona Web App.
Health minister A L Hek informed that out of 11,475 samples sent for test for COVID-19, 11,009 tests yielded negative, and the results of 430 tests are awaited.
Meghalaya has registered 36 COVID-19 positive cases, including one death, 13 persons who have recovered and 22 active positive patients who are under treatment.