Two persons lost their lives on Wednesday after a bomb believed to be of World War II-era exploded at Moreh in Manipur’s Tengnoupal district along the Indo-Myanmar border.

The incident took place around 4 pm when the victims identified as Lalsangmuon Gangte, 27 and Lienkhogin Gangte, 23 were digging a pit in their backyard, said a police official.

Both were sons of late Thangminlen Gangte and Late Lhingneineilam Gangte of Gangte Veng, Moreh Ward No 9.

“As per the initial investigation, we found out that the deceased were digging a pit in their backyard to dump garbage when they accidentally struck the bomb believed to be of World War-II era with their spades,” Indian Express quoted M Amit, additional SP of Tengnoupal as saying.

He said that in November last year, a total of 122 unexploded artillery shells of WW-II era bombs were excavated from the same place.

Thangpao Baite, chairman of the area, has called upon the government to announced ex-gratia to the kin of the victims.

He said that the administration removed a large number of old bombs from the area where the two persons were killed.

“It appears that all the bombs were not removed. I appeal to the government to extend financial help to the family considering their loss,” said Baite.

Prior to that, two mortar shells of the World War II period were found in Manipur’s Churachandpur district in June 2020, which were disposed off through controlled detonation.

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in