dead tree
Representational image

A 29-year-old research student died in Hoysala Nagar of Dharwad district Karnataka after consuming a mixture of sanitizer and cough syrup as he could not get hold of liquor.

According to reports, the deceased, identified as Sudeep Kariyanna, is said to be a native of Honnavara, Uttara Kannada district.

He was studying at the Zoology department of Karnatak University, Dharwad and staying in a rented accommodation in Hoysala Nagar.

A station house officer of Sub Urban Police station in Dharwad said that the incident was reported to them on Monday afternoon by the landlord of the house which Sudeep had rented after foul smell was emanating from it.

An empty bottle of sanitizer as well as a bottle of cough syrup was found next to his body and the landlord in his complaint to the police said the student had been complaining of lack of availability of liquor due to the lockdown.

Sudeep’s body has been shifted to the Dharwad district government hospital for post-mortem.

Notably, around 10 days back in Gambayarpur village of the same district, two people died and 13 others fell ill after consuming sanitizer for its alleged ‘alcohol content.’

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in