Justice Ranjan Gogoi from Assam is all set to be appointed as the next Chief Justice of India. Northeast Now has prepared a brief profile of Justice Ranjan Gogoi with inputs from Dibrugarh Bar Association president Advocate Ajit Borgohain.
- Son of ex-Assam chief minister Keshab Gogoi
- Born on November 18, 1954 at Dibrugarh
- Studied at Don Bosco, Dibrugarh
- Pre-University from Cotton College, Guwahati.
- Graduated from St Stephens College, New Delhi with Honours in History.
- Post graduation from Delhi University and Law from Delhi University.
- Joined the bar in 1978 at Guwahati.
- His senior was advocate JP Bhattacharjee.
- Appointed as Permanent Judge of Gauhati HC on February 28, 2001
- Became the Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court in February 12, 2011.
- Judge of the Supreme Court on April 23, 2012
- Head of special bench that monitored the update of NRC
- Part of the bench that gave ruling that no one can contest elections without making a full and honest disclosure about his/her assets and educational and criminal antecedents.
- Part of the bench that held women cannot become a Kartaof a joint family but can be the managers in some particular circumstances.
- He was a part of the bench that restrained ruling parties from publishing photographs of political leaders or prominent persons in government-funded advertisements.
- Part of the Supreme Court bench which commuted death sentence of Govindaswamy, a convict in the rape and murder of 23-year-old Soumya, to a seven-year jail term.
- He was a part of the Supreme Court bench that declined to attribute a backward status to the Jat community.
- Part of the seven-judge bench, headed by Justice Khehar that issued a contempt order against Justice CS Karnan on the charge of contempt of Court and degrading the judiciary.