A cluster of 15 huts that were rented out to tenants were gutted in a devastating fire at KP Road area in Dibrugarh town on Monday.
According to information, the blaze that occurred at around 10.20 am is said to be accidentally triggered when a tenant was burning a big heap of dry twigs and grasses close to his house.
As the person left the fire unattended, it is suspected that the blaze aided by the wind soon spread to the tin-topped bamboo huts. The huts were owned by one Bijoy Bose and his nephew Amit Bose. However, no one was injured in the incident. The residence of Bijoy Bose was also partially damaged in the inferno.
According to fire brigade, their fire tenders arrived almost immediately but had a tough time reaching the spot due to the congested road.
The traffic police had to tow away several vehicles to clear the path for the fire tenders as they were blocking the road. Finally, they reached the spot and were able to douse the fire but by then valuable time was lost and the damage was already done.