Two children were charred to death in Basisthapur area of Guwahati when their home caught fire on Thursday afternoon, police said.
According to police, seven-year-old Iban Goswami and his four-year-old brother Ishan Goswami were killed on spot in a major fire that engulfed their resident.
“Both kids were playing on the first floor of their home when the house caught fire,” locals informed.
Locals also alleged that fire engines reached the spot late for which the fire could not be doused on time, which led to the sad demise of the two kids.
Some locals also alleged that even though two fire engines reached the spot, one of them did not have water.
Fire officials, however, dismissed the allegations and said they reached the spot as soon as they received the news about the fire.
Their father, Tushar Goswami, is a geologist and presently out of Guwahati and their mother Shilpi Goswami was working in the campus when the fire broke out.
Till the filing of this report, the exact reason for the fire has not been ascertained, even though some locals say it was caused by a short circuit.