Mizoram and Assam will hold talks in Aizawl on Thursday to de-escalate the prevailing tension and to find an amicable solution to the inter-state boundary dispute, a top Mizoram official said on Wednesday.
The development came over a week after a clash between forces of Mizoram and Assam left seven people, including six cops, dead and scores injured.
Mizoram chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chauungo said the meeting of ministers and officials between the two neighbouring states will be held at Aijal club at 11 am on Thursday.
Mizoram government will be represented by home minister Lalchamliana, land revenue and settlement minister Lalruatkima and home department secretary Vanlalngaihsaka, he said.
Sources in Assam said the state government will send two Cabinet ministers – Atul Bora and Ashok Singhal – to participate in the proposed talks.
Chief minister Zoramthanga also said on Wednesday that representatives of both Mizoram and Assam will hold a meeting over the boundary dispute on Thursday.
“Tomorrow that is 5th of August, 2021 representatives from Assam Govt. led by senior minister will meet representatives of Mizoram Govt. led by senior minister. I am sure important steps will be achieved for the solution of the border problem,” Zoramthanga tweeted.
The proposed talks to defuse the escalating tension between the two states was an outcome of a discussion among Union Home Minister Amit Shah and chief ministers of both states – Zoramthanga (Mizoram) and Himanta Biswa Sarma (Assam), highly placed sources said.
Earlier on Monday, Sarma announced through Twitter that he would send two of his Cabinet ministers to Aizawl to broker peace.
His announcement came within hours of his Mizoram counterpart Zoramthanga’s post on social media platform that he directed the state police to withdraw cases filed against all the accused from the Assam side.
“In order to build a conducive atmosphere for amicable solution to the Mizoram-Assam border dispute & to reduce the plight of suffering citizens, I have directed Mizoram police to withdraw FIR dt. 26.07.2021 filed at Vairengte, Kolasib District, Mizoram against all the accused persons,” Zormthanga had said in a tweet.
As a reciprocal to Mizoram chief minister’s tweet, Sarma also announced that cases against Kolasib DC H. Lalthlangliana and sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Thartea Hrangchal would be withdrawn.
“I learn that Honble CM @ZoramthangaCM has asked @mizorampolice to withdraw FIR dt 26.7.21 against our officers. I heartily reciprocate this positive gesture and ask @assampolice to withdraw cases against DC Kolasib and SDPO Virengte,” Sarma had tweeted.
Following the bloody clash on July 26, both state governments registered FIRs against officials and leaders of the opposite sides, including chief minister Sarma and Mizoram Rajya Sabha member K. Vanlalvena.
Cases against Sarma and Vanlalvena were withdrawn earlier.
While Mizoram has announced the withdrawal of cases against all accused, the Assam government is yet to announce the withdrawal of FIR filed against four officials – Kolasib district SP Vanlalfaka Ralte, additional SP David JB and Vairengte SDO (Civil) C Lalrempuia, and 1st Indian Reserve Battalion additional SP Bruce Kibby.
The “unannounced” economic blockade on National Highway-306 in the Dholai-Lailapur area in Assam’s Cachar district since July 26 has entered the 10th day on Wednesday.
A senior police officer in Vairengte said no vehicle has entered from Assam till Wednesday.
Mizoram home secretary Vanlalngaihsaka on Monday dashed off a WT message to the commissioner and secretary to the home department of Assam with a request to make arrangements for the vehicles stranded in Assam to enter Mizoram.