Electrocution
The body of Thanggin Lunkim and (right) the spot of the incident. Image credit – Northeast Now

One 50-year-old man died on Sunday due to electrocution near Asalu village in Dima Hasao district.

The victim has been identified as Thanggin Lunkim, a resident of P. Leikul village under Mahur police station.

He died after coming in contact with a loose high tension wire of the Assam Power Distribution Company Ltd (APDCL).

According to sources, the incident took place when Lunkim was on the way to attend a funeral service at Mahur on foot.

It has been alleged that the power department has taken no step to protect the locals as the live wires are passing through the area just 6 feet above the ground.

Electric poles have also fallen following landslide in the area.

“Despite repeated complaints lodged by the residents of Asalu and Impoi villages, no repair work has been done till date,” said locals.

It has been learnt that many livestock including cow and buffalo died due to electrocution.

The body of Lunkim was sent to Haflong civil hospital for conducting post-mortem.

The family members of the victim have lambasted the APDCL for gross negligence resulting to the death of their loved one.

They demanded that proper inquiry be initiated at the earliest for the negligence on the part of those concerned and provide compensation.

Lunkim, a cultivator, was the sole bread-earner of his family.

He is survived by his wife and two sons.

Kuki Students Organisation, Assam has blamed the APDCL for the tragedy.

The organization has demanded that a proper inquiry be conducted and all the erring officials be punished.

The students’ body has demanded for adequate compensation to the family of the deceased and cautioned that they would go for legal action if the APDCL fails to compensate.

Pankaj Kr Deb

Pankaj Kumar Deb is Northeast Now Correspondent in Haflong. He can be reached at: pankajhaflong@gmail.com