The Gauhati High court on Friday dismissed a review petition filed by the Assam government seeking the court to review its order on restoration of mobile internet services in the state.
After more than a week, Assam government on Friday morning restored mobile internet services in Guwahati and other parts of the state but urged the people of the state to be cautious in writing and posting messages on the social media.
Although the Gauhati High Court ordered Assam government to lift ban on mobile internet services from 5 pm on Thursday, the government did not issue any instruction to the service providers to restore mobile data.
“We filed a review petition to the Gauhati High Court seeking to review its order on restoration of mobile internet today,” Kumar Sanjay Krishna, additional chief secretary (Home and Political) said on Friday.
A division bench of justices Manojit Bhuyan and Soumitra Saikia heard the arguments of the government and dismissed the review petition.
“The review petition was, however, dismissed by the High court,” said a public prosecutor on Friday.
Earlier in the day additional director general of police (Law and Order) GP Singh tweeted, “Friends, the mobile internet services are being restored to enable people to go about life in a normal manner.
“Please be wise in writing, forwarding posts on various social media platforms. Let’s build a stronger Assam together. Looking forward to continued support.
“Meanwhile, the situation in Assam has improved since last few days and there are no reports of any violence,” he said.
Different organizations and individuals have however, continued with peaceful protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA), taking out mass rallies and holding sit-in demonstrations at different parts of the state.